Do you know how much dirt and gunk your carpet can accumulate? If you have kids or pets you do…
An uncleaned carpet can become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
Don’t become one of the many homeowners paralyzed by the notion of cleaning your carpet just because you don’t know how to get started. Here’s a simple guide on how to deep clean carpet without having to rent or buy a machine.
How to Deep Clean Carpet
Many times when people think of deep cleaning carpets they think of having to hire a costly cleaning service. That, or renting an expensive steam-cleaner.
Well, there’s good news! You can deep clean your carpet using a few simple tools that you probably already have at home. To get started you’ll need the following items:
- Baking soda
- A bristle brush
- A spray bottle
- Table salt
- Some rags you aren’t attached to
- Water and detergent
The Cleaning Steps:
1. Begin by combining 1/8 teaspoon of detergent with water in the spray bottle. Fill up the entire spray bottle with water. Gently swirl the bottle to combine the detergent and water.
2. Lightly dust the area of your carpet you wish to deep clean with some baking soda. Then sprinkle the table salt over it. Don’t worry about covering the entire carpet.
Just make sure you have a good dusting over the general area. It will spread around as you clean.
3. Now, spray the detergent and water mix over the carpet. Let the combo of detergent, baking soda, and salt sit for several minutes.
4. Next, grab the bristle brush and carefully scrub the carpet in one direction only. Brushing the carpet in just one direction, to begin with, will help dirt and hair to gather on one end.
Once you’ve finished, pick up the clumps of debris and gunk.
5. Your next step is to move a slight angle from where you started to brush and begin again. This will help gather any more remaining dirt or crumbs so you can easily pick them up.
6. When the scrubbing portion of the job is done, it’s time to grab the rags. Lay the rags out along carpet. You may need to place some heavy items on top of them to help the rags soak up the water.
After the carpet is mostly dry, you need to empty the spray bottle and refill it with clean water. Don’t add detergent to the bottle this time.
7. Spray the nearly-dried carpet again with water.
8. Lay more towels down to soak up the water and voila!
This method of deep cleaning your carpet may take a bit of time. But if you have a large scrub brush, the cleaning can actually be done quite quickly.
There’s no need to spend extra money on a fancy steamer. The magic of baking soda is well-known for cleaning many household items. It’s also safe for children and pets. This method includes no harsh or dangerous chemicals.
More Household Cleaning Hacks
Knowing how to deep clean carpet without a machine is a great way to save yourself some money and some headache.
For more helpful household cleaning tips, read our post on getting rid of dust mites. Happy cleaning!